Week 5: Korean Lessons



What a busy week! It's currently exam season at my university so I've been studying up on campus until it gets dark. So guess how happy I was when my Korean teacher brought some real homemade Korean food for our lesson at 7pm! I was almost hesitant to go to this week's class because of my busy schedule but I am so glad I came! It was really sweet of my teacher to bring us this warm food in pots from her house.

The three dishes from top to bottom are 떡볶이(Tteokbokki) , 어뎅 (O-deng), 순대 (Soon-dae). 떡볶이 the chewy rice cake covered with spicy red sauce was everyone's favorite. Also I really enjoyed the hot 어뎅 soup since the weather here in the Netherlands is becoming very chilly. It's my first time trying 순대 and I find it really good. For those who don't know what 순대 is, it's a type of steamed sausage made out of vermicelli noodles and spices stuffed in pig intestine. I've eaten pig intestine before in Thai cuisine so it didn't really bother me.

Sticking with the topic of food, we learned useful phrases of how to order at a restaurant. The dialogue below illustrates the conversation we practiced in partners.

A: 어서오세요 - Welcome
B: 여기요,주문할게요 - Over here! I'd like to order
A: 뭐드릴까요 - What can I get for you?
B: __(Food you want to order)__ 주세요 - I'd like () please
A: 네,여기있슾니다 - Yes, here you go
B: 여기요, __(Food you want to order)__ 좀더추세요 - Excuse me, () I'd like a little more.
A: 네, 여기있어요. 잠시만기다리세요 - Yes, here you go, one moment please.
B: 감사핲니다 - Thank you

The various foods you can insert into the blank spaces can be:

  • 과일  Fruit 
  • 밥 Cooked rice
  • 고기 Meat 
  • 치즈 Cheese
  • 오이 Cucumber 
  • 버섯 Mushroom
  • 빵 (Bread)

I really enjoyed this week's lesson and I feel motivated to continue to learn more phrases and vocabulary! 

Sincerely, 
Siree 


Popular Posts