First Korean Lesson



Hello there! 안녕!


Learning a new language can be challenging and full of surprises. After four years of following Korean music and drama shows and relying on fan-submitted English subtitles to guide me, I finally signed up for a Korean language class at the Erasmus Language Sharing center. It is a ten week program and classes are scheduled once a week on Wednesdays from 19:00-21:00. I hope that this course will give me the skills to understand what my favorite pop stars or actors are saying. I expected more students; however, the class was relatively small with 6 students. As the teacher went around the room asking students why they wished to learn Korean, I found that most of them also had similar reasons as me. Some also wished to understand Korean shows without the use of English subs and many like me also wanted to go on exchange to Korea and experience Korean culture, food and city life in person.

The lesson centered around learning the Korean alphabet and characters. It is super interesting to see how words get 'built' in Korean. Hangul is quite easy to understand however, not as simple to remember. It is like a puzzle, each character can be made up of consonants and vowels.

I learned how to write and say my name in Korean which would be 시리 We also learned how to introduce ourselves both formally and casually (what our name is and where we are from). Besides that we learned some basic vocabulary such as banana (바나나), radio (라디오), flower (꽃).

안녕하새요, 저는, 시리이어요
(Annyeong ha sa yeo, cho neun , si-ri yi ae yo) (Hello! My name is Siree)

저는태사람이어요
(Cho-neun tae guk saram yi ae yo) (I am from Thailand)

That's all for now,
I'll be back with new posts from my lessons!

Sincerely, Siree

Popular Posts